The last edition of the Paperless Lab Academy, celebrated in Barcelona in April 2016, hosted a lecture by, Research Vice President, Life Science R&D at Gartner, Michael Shanler entitled: “Laboratory Informatics in the Digital Era”.
The Research VP of the prestigious American research and advisory firm providing information technology structured his talk according to four axes:
- Forces and technology trends impacting all businesses in the “Digital Era”
- CIO priorities
- IT environment for Scientific Industries
- How technology will enable laboratory innovation transformation.
Some of the talk’s highlights were:
- The future is unknown, but the technology precursors for big changes are here, today.
- By 2017, 80% of ELN* will underperform due to changing R&D needs and unsustainable service models, requiring replacement or overhauls.
- By 2019, 30% of the top 100 life science R&D IT organizations will have successfully moved big data projects from proof of concept (POC) and pilots into production. *process and data workflows.
To learn more about the challenges of Lab of the future as envisioned by Gartner, click on the following link.